Crook Railway Station                             

                                                                        train4

Date opened: Early 1844
Location: A realignment of the B6298 now follows the course of the line through the site of Crook Station.
Company on opening: Bishop Auckland & Weardale Railway
Date closed to passengers: 8.3.1965
Date closed completely: 5.7.1965
Company on closing: British Railways (North Eastern Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Durham
OS Grid Ref: NZ163358


Notes: Crook Station opened in early 1844 on market days (Thursdays) only with full use of the station by January 1845.

Work on a temporary station started in December 1843, the station was designed to be converted into railwaymen's cottages when the permanent station was built. On 15th July 1846 orders were given to send a redundant platform from Stockton for the station. When the line was extended to Tow Law on 1st September 1845 the station was left on a short stub
line. Ordnance Survey maps showed this was still in use until the mid 1950's. On 2nd September 1856 S & D minutes record that the building of a new station should be proceeded with but it is not recorded when this opened.

Opposite Crook Station there were the sidings and main access to the huge Bank Foot site of coke ovens, fireclay works, chemical plant and Pease's West Colliery. Crook had a separate goods station on on the west side of the main line to the south of the West Road/Commercial Street Level Crossing.

information gathered from   http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/ (courtesy nick catford)